NOTE: We are going to the Dafoe library on Thursday!! Meet at the research desk at 10:40 (We are going to the Gold lab)
Wikis - how to and examples - Learning new media “Cool Tools for Schools” and “Getting Tricky with Wikis” .
- show off your students' work
- do group/class projects
- keep class notes
Photostory = free simple slide/movie creation - get some sample images HERE. See the project (gr. 1 - 3 multi-age) here
NOTE: We are going to the Dafoe library on Thursday!! Meet at the research desk at 10:40 (A12 at 1:00)
Tuesday at 3:00 and Thursday at 9:45 for extra help in the lab
0) Is this the Dumbest Generation? Yes/No? Comments on the readings/listenings.
1) Important Ideas
- students don't know how groups function: you have to give them roles.
- internet is mainly used for gossip: facebook, twitter etc
- we are more narcissistic now
- information is more easily accessible, but are we actually taking advantage of it? do we use what is available, or waste time?
- we are lazier. There is more technology, we do not have to think for ourselves.
- LAZY NOT DUMB.
- people don't know how to do hands-on kind of stuff. Passive activities are more common. Information is just given to you.
- IQ scores are higher; graduate scores are up; graduate numbers are up
- literacy is going down BUT information is being presented in a different way so people learn in different ways
- get more information to the most amount of people... different ways
- We are against video games.
- kids are better at multi-tasking now. They can focus on more stuff.
Some non-text resources on Digital Natives:
Digital Natives project by Edutopia
Educause podcasts (mainly higher ed, and you need to pick and choose)
Scotland Project on Games Based Learning