First Meta-Topic Question - answer in D2L discussion area.
Describe one or more 'metateachnition' experiences you have had (or will have in the next week!!). What do you end up noticing? What is important to you? What do you notice about other people? Does this help you understand yourself as a prospective teacher? Please do not use real names.
From the RWL
You chose THREE from the RWL list. With 3 other people share the main points of what you learned.
From the RWL:
- What does technology have to do with democracy?
- What in the world does McLuhan mean? (exam question based on this)
- Is the Internet the epitome of anarchy as Graham defines it?
- How does Barney define fundamentalism?
- Are we losing our social capital or are we gaining with all our various connections?
- Does the Digital Literacy video support Nicholas Carr’s ‘Is Google Making Us Stupid’?
Marshall McLuhan - the medium is the message and the ‘tetrad’
- “We shape our tools and then they shape us.”
“We are always living way ahead of our thinking”
Winston Churchill - “We shape our buildings and then they shape us”
Research of the Future (start at 1:00)
x McLuhan tetrads - open this on your device and with 2 or 3 others try and guess at the answers (before looking) and be ready to try and explain the concept.
x ENHANCE, REVERSE, RETRIEVE, OBSOLESCE
13 REASONS WHY DIGITAL LEARNING IS BETTER - READ THIS SHORT ARTICLE AND BE PREPARED FOR THE TEST. HOW MUCH OF THIS IS DIFFERENT?
At least TWO of the following and bring your notes:
What You Don't Know Can Hurt You - http://www.sustainable-city.org/intervws/mander.htm
http://fora.tv/2006/11/28/Paradigm_Wars#fullprogram - You can watch just segments of this using the choices listed. It would not play in Firefox for me, but was fine in Chrome.
General videos by Mander - or do your own search
Lakoff video of how this started
Lakoff video - Framing
- from an educator’s point of view?
In class next week we will watch videos about waste disposal, cell phone minerals and farming.