ClassShift Happens - are you ready?
Apps I like (you can share too as the course goes on)
Important Idea #3
McLuhan - tetrads and “The Medium is the Message”
What is education?
- What are schools for? What is education? Why are you here? What do you hope to accomplish with your students?
- Write down a one or two sentence response
- Share with one other person and modify/revise if you wish
- Share with another pair of people
- What do some 'experts' say? Audio excerpt from TVO - The Agenda
Course overview - continue from slide 12
How to use technology to enhance:
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Ethics and Responsibility
- ICT literacy
Use the tech when you need it to get info or solve a problem.
Cognitive Domain (Big Ideas)Plan and question
Produce and show understanding
Affective Domain (Big Ideas)Ethics and Responsibility
Motivation and Confidence
Levels of ThinkingKnows and Comprehends
Analyze and Apply
Synthesize and Evaluate
Using Technology in Education for:
- Basic Communication (blogs. email, texting and PP - students, parents & teachers)
- Info Gathering (RSS, web sites and advanced search)
- Subject Specific Software - Drill & Practice, simulations, GPS, graphing, labs
- Info Creating (wikis, blogs, web sites)
- Collaboration - wikis, docs, video, audio
- Presentation / Motivation (Hawthorne effect and larger audience)
LabZamzar.com will convert many file formats
RSS feeds - google reader, bloglines, netvibes, or as a widget in your web space
Google Docs - text, presentations, sites - sharing
Wikis - how to and examples - Learning new media “Cool Tools for Schools” and “Getting Tricky with Wikis” .
- show off your students' work
- do group/class projects
- keep class notes
No class next week so for Oct 15 read/watch/listen and be prepared to discuss DIgital Natives and the Brain:Read
excerpts from iBrain
Born Digital excerpt - John Palfrey and Urs Gasser
iBrain - Gary Small on video
iBrain - Gary Small - "Your Brain on Google" video
TVO with Gary Small and Don Tapscott - click on the Your Brain on Tech tab if necessary (also available as a podcast in iTunes.
or listen to any of these
Interview with Palfrey - Perseus Publishing
RECORDINGS from PBS
Elluminate Full Recording: https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2009-02-26.1609.M.399C8BB330CD35E59AC77AA0AD827C.vcr
Audio (.mp3): http://audio.edtechlive.com/cr20/JOHN PALFREY BORN DIGITAL.mp3Chat (.rtf):http://audio.edtechlive.com/cr20/JOHN PALFREY BORN DIGITAL.rtf